The former president’s home was last week invaded by unknown gunmen.
This unfortunate incident was strongly condemned by well meaning Nigerians from all quarters.
Inside sources said, the attack was targeted at the former president.
Mr. Jonathan made this known through a statement by his spokesman, Ikechukwu Eze. He said
“Arresting the perpetrators is necessary so that such ugly incident does not repeat itself. Jonathan made the call as he led those who came to sympathise with him on Friday, December 27. He has enjoined security agencies to fish out those who attacked his country home in Otuoke, Bayelsa State.
It should be noted that a soldier was shot dead by the unknown gunmen at his residence on Christmas eve, Editorial Times reports.
Jonathan also commended the Nigerian army for how they acted swiftly during the incident and chased the attackers. In a statement by the spokesman of the former president, Ikechukwu Eze, he mentioned how Nigerians of different social standings have empathized with Jonathan.
“Dr Jonathan noted that since the unknown gun men attacked his marine security post on December 24, 2019 many Nigerians of different social status including President Muhammadu Buhari, State Governors and political party leaders as well as foreigners have either visited him or called to express their heartfelt sympathy over the unfortunate attack in his house,” a part of the statement read. The former president said that exposing those behind the criminality is necessary so that such does not happen again in his community.
“The former President also reiterated his call on the concerned security authorities to expose and bring the criminals to book as a means of ensuring that such daredevil criminality does not happen again in his community or any other place in the country,” another part of the statement added.